Angelus - Ave - Magnificat

The angel of the Lord declared unto Mary...

Rejoice, so highly favoured! The Lord is with you.
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

My soul glorifies the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God, my Saviour.


Of all women you are the most blessed...
Blessed art thou among women...
Listen! You are to conceive and bear a son, and you must name him Jesus.

But how can this come about, since I am a virgin?

...and she conceived by the Holy Spirit.

...and blessed is the fruit of your womb.
...and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

He looks on his servant in her lowliness.




Behold the handmaid of the Lord:...

Mary, do not be afraid; you have won God’s favour.

I am the handmaid of the Lord...

...be it done to me according to thy word.

Yes, blessed is she who believed that the promise made her by the Lord would be fulfilled.

...let what you have said be done to me.
Henceforth all ages will call me blessed.




The Word was made flesh...

The Holy Spirit will come upon you
and the power of the Most High will cover you with its shadow.
And so the child will be holy and will be called Son of God.

The Almighty works marvels for me.
Holy his name!

...and dwelt among us.

He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High.
The Lord God will give him the throne of his ancestor David.

His mercy is from age to age, on those who fear him.
He casts the mighty from their thrones and raises the lowly.


Holy Mary, Mother of God...
Why should I be honoured with a visit from the mother of my Lord?
For the moment your greeting reached my ears, 
the child in my womb lept for joy.

He fills the starving with good things,
sends the rich away empty.

...pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death.

He puts forth his arm in strenght
and scatters the proud-hearted.

He will rule over the House of Jacob for ever
and his reign will have no end.

He protects Israel, his servant, remembering his mercy,
the mercy promised to our fathers, to Abraham and his sons for ever.





Pour forth, we beseech you, O Lord, your grace into our hearts,
that we to whom the Incarnation of Christ, your Son,
was made known by the message of an angel,
may by his passion and cross,
be brought to the glory of his resurrection,
through Christ our Lord.

Amen.

(Cf. Lk. 1:26 - 56)