The Holy Trinity


O eternal Trinity! O Godhead!

By the light of understanding within your light I have tasted and seen your depth, eternal Trinity, and the beauty of your creation. Then, when I considered myself in you, I saw that I am your image. You have gifted me with power from yourself, eternal Father, and my understanding with your wisdom - such wisdom as is proper to your only-begotten Son; and the Holy Spirit, who proceeds from you and from your Son, has given me a will, and so I am able to love.

You, eternal Trinity, are the craftsman; and I your handiwork have come to know that you are in love with the beauty of what you have made, since you made of me a new creation in the blood of your Son.



O abyss! O eternal Godhead! O deep sea! What more could you have given me than the gift of your very self?

You are a fire always burning but never consuming; you are a fire consuming in your heat all the soul's selfish love; you are a fire lifting all chill and giving light. In your light you have made me know your truth: You are that light beyond all light who gives to the mind's eye supernatural light in such fullness and perfection that you bring clarity even to the light of faith

This light shows you to me, and in this light I know you, highest and infinite Good: Good above every goof, joyous Good, Good beyond measure and understanding! Beauty above all beauty; Wisdom above all wisdom - indeed you are wisdom itself! You who are the angels' food are given to humans with burning love.

Clothe me, clothe me with yourself, eternal Truth, so the I may run the course of this mortal life in true obedience and in the light of most holy faith. With that light I sense my soul once again becoming drunk! Thanks be to God! Amen.

(Saint Catherine of Siena O.P., from the Dialogue 167, translation: Suzanne Noffke O.P.)